Ethiopian Society of Tropical and Infectious Diseases (Estaids)
The society was established on December 26, 2011
- Estaids aspire to become one of the top five professional associations in Ethiopia and ten in Africa by 2029.
Estaids Mission Statement
- Highly committed to maintain members’ rights and benefits deliver quality service, promote public interest through ensuring human and animal health, and create strong partnership with government, NGOs, and other professional associations.
The core values of Estaids include:
- Improving human and animal health, advancing the Estaids or natural science professions and contributing to the control and eradication program of all Tropical and Infectious Diseases (TIDs) in Ethiopia as well as in the world.
Purpose and objective:
The purpose of the association is to advance the science and art of TIDs, including its relationship with public health, biological science and human and animal medicine. Specifically,
- To strive in protecting the right of public health and animal health;
- To enable Estaids members develop their veterinary and human biological medicine profession;
- To serves as a bridge for the TID and other related professions networking platform;
- To conduct discussions and researches in collaboration with governmental and non-governmental organizations;
- To cooperate and operate closely with the concerned government bodies and play its own roles in the human and veterinary health sector thereby directing the rules and regulations of the development activities;
- To Ensure that the professional ethics and standard are respected and utilized complying with the rules and regulations;
- To support the TIDs and related educational activities quality and standards;
- To operate freedom and patent rights;
- To develop the TIDs career thereby professional, develop their expertise and operate their own, governmental and nongovernmental organizations.
Values and principles:
- Members-centered (solidarity, participatory, need-based, commitment);
- Transparency: Strives for open and honest communications in dealings among members, and with partners, staff and other stakeholders;
- Equality and gender sensitivity;
- Sustainability and environmental consciousness;
- Leadership: Serves as a trusted advisor of TIDs community and invests in the development of new leaders for the future of our profession, our members, our communities and our society;
- Excellence: promotes the highest standards in TIDs practices, education and research;
- Inclusion: Promotes all members of Estaids profession that reflects the diversity of the profession and the populations that TIDs serves, as a core requirement in meeting societal needs;
- Collaboration: Advances our mission in partnership with others within and outside of the TIDs profession;
- Adaptability: Be flexible and responsive in assuring that academic TIDs is meeting the needs of society;
- Stewardship: Maintains the highest standards of accountability through responsible management practices.
The existing by-laws focuses on the rules of the association in which different organs of the association at all level should respect. It also comprises the association objectives, organizational structure, membership requirements, duty, power and responsibility of different governance bodies of the association.